Tuesday 13 April 2010

Snip Snip Snip

That is the sound of apron strings being cut. Honestly, I thought they were all cut by now, however, my daughter's latest adventure brought more to the surface. 


As you see in the photo above, she was born a normal healthy Canadian, who got itchy feet and in 2006 decided to pack her bags and move across the ocean to reside in Scotland.

This past winter a close friend of her's decided that a milestone birthday required a milestone trip, so their group of 4 friends decided to do the Trans Siberian Rail journey from Vladivostok to Moscow.  they were to be gone from April 9 to 25th and would keep in contact via the internet as they moved from city to city.

My last contact with her, mere hours before leaving her flat in Edinburgh, was to say she had a 4.5 hour layover in Moscow where she would meet up with her travel companions. She was sure she would have lots of time to seek out a wi-fi spot and drop us a line.

Moscow is a relatively short flight from Edinburgh, via Amsterdam, so I expectantly fired up the computer the next evening ready to read all about the trip. Upon opening my email I saw everything BUT  her name. Now the apron strings started to twine around me; had she missed her flight? did the customs folks in Russia take issue with her documents? had the plane never made it...shudder? Motherhood is wonderful but stressful at times.

After fervent prayer I shook off the "what if's" and began packing my bag to head for a ladies retreat in the Okanagan.  You will never guess what we talked about - are you ready for this? Drumroll Please ! " Giving up Control " What Divine Hand sent me to the place where I would find peace from God's word and the fellowship of ladies who understood. It was a "God thing",  to be sure, not just mere coincidence!

Sunday morning at Green Bay Bible Camp I signed onto the camp computer to find that she was safe and sound in Vladivostok, but her luggage was not. Evidently in the great frozen wastelands of Russia there are not a lot of wi-fi signals drifting around but there is a lonely suitcase with all her clothing in it.

Is it ok to pray for a suitcase? I think so, feel free to join me if you do too.

No comments:

Post a Comment